There’s one question that always pops in my mind towards the end of a thriller/horror novel. I feel stupid asking the question, because honestly I should already know the answer. The question is: Why do so many people have to die?? Then I remember I’m mid-sentence in a horror novel; obsessive killing usually plays a heavy role in these things. So why do I always think this question?? I do because the author has made a connection between his fictional characters and me, the reader. When the reader is able to connect with the characters (feel compassion, sympathy, empathy) and build that relationship the story becomes much more real. Mike Dellosso was successful. As the final chapters were coming near, as more innocent lives were ended by the mysterious beast, I then stepped back and asked myself…Why do so many people have to die??
I’m happy to say I’ve completely finished all 45 chapters of Mike Dellosso’s The Hunted. I tore through page after page searching for answers that Mike slowly let slip (as annoying as that is, it makes for a good book). That’s one thing I definitely appreciated, unlike some books I’ve read there was a good balance between what the reader was allowed to know and what only the characters knew. In some chapters the characters were able to unravel a bit of the mystery, but I was left out in the dark. While in others I sat with anticipation wanting to yell the answers aloud in hopes they would somehow hear me. I was skeptical at first when the point of view constantly changed from character to character, however with each new aspect Mark threw in I soon saw the harmony which pulled everything together.
Following the harmony, each new chapter introduced a new aspect, conflict, character, or spilt new information. I appreciated this; it kept my mind on edge trying to figure out all those questions I mentioned before. What’s the story on the tabby cat and the supposed lion in Dark Hill’s?? What secret is behind the Gill’s family legacy?? Is Caleb going to find the strength to wake up?? Will Joe find his faith in God again?? Rarely was I bored reading The Hunted. Even with a few cheesy remarks I still had to fulfill my desire to know the ending.
Like mother, like daughter -- very talented and insightful. I enjoyed your reviews and I especially appreciate (and share) your love of poetry. I hope you have an amazing summer!
ReplyDeleteFrom Mike Dellosso: I tried to leave a comment on the blog but for some reason it didn't take. Soo . . . thanks for the great review, Hannah. And thanks for excusing the cheesy comments, I just have to throw them in there :)
ReplyDelete