A psycho-serial killer?? A team of four mentally ill adults assisting a baffled FBI investigator?? The beginnings of a tangled love triangle?? Sounds like a good plot to me.
Ted Dekker’s The Bride Collector is the next book in my project. I’ve already finished off chapters 1 through 20, so I’m just about half way through. Brad Raines is an FBI agent who, along with his partner Nikki Holden, is stuck up on a case they’ve dubbed “The Bride Collector”. The killer has already taken four lives and they suspect him to take three more. The killer believes he is doing God’s work by kidnapping and sacrificing young, beautiful women as the bride of Christ. The women God tells him to take, God’s “favorites”, are drugged and then drained of their blood. Brad and Nikki are led to a mental health facility called CWI (Center for Wellness and Intelligence), the patients there all suffer from various mental illnesses but all are gifted with a particularly high IQ. A team of four patients are assembled to help crack the case and save the next three women. However, the case takes a drastic turn when the killer makes things personal. Suddenly it seems Brad is becoming the target.
I’m moving faster through The Bride Collector than I’d expected, even as I’ve also decided to re-read the Guardian’s of Ga’Hoole series by Kathryn Lasky. Ted Dekker continues to amuse, entertain, and horrify me with each chapter I read. It’s not that I’m easily scared by things or that this novel is excessively scary, it’s just as he goes into the mind of the serial killer and the killer reveals all he does in preparation for the kidnapping… Well let’s just say I re-thought the idea of reading the book while I was home alone.
No comments:
Post a Comment