Okay, wow. I’m sort of stumped on how to start this blog post. I would love to think up some witty and catchy phrase to sum up my feelings towards The Bride Collector. But I just don’t think that’s possible. I don’t think one sentence could compensate for the sheer number of emotions evoked by this book.
The book exposes a man named Quinton Gauld as a serial killer in Denver, Colorado trying to do “God’s work”. He is convinced his ritualistic deeds are requests straight from God. I’d like to tell you more, but Ted has weaved another spider web of a story and I can’t relay too much information without being dubbed a spoiler. Brad Raines is the FBI agent put on the case, along with his partner Nikki Holden. Immediately we see chemistry between the two that leads us to believe they’ll soon be more than mere partners on the work force.
As their search advances Quinton directs Brad and Nikki to a mentally-ill living facility called Center for Wellness and Intelligence (CWI). The center specializes with people suffering from a mental illness but at the same time gifted with an unusually high IQ. Allison Johnson, the owner, created a safe haven for the patients where they learn to adapt to and live with their illnesses and special gifts. Here, the FBI agents are introduced to a group of patients who can supposedly help solve the case. The group consists of four schizophrenic eccentrics; Roudy, Andrea, Cass, and Paradise. Roudy, a schizophrenic in his forty’s, models himself after Sherlock Holmes. He is often recruited by the FBI for small cases because of his unique abilities in perception and deduction. Andrea is a beautiful, young woman who suffers from OCD, bipolar disease, and manic depression. She constantly feels the need to take a shower and is also subject to auditory hallucinations; however, she has a remarkable gift for finding patterns, unmatched by anyone. Enrique Bartholomew, nicknamed Casanova or Cass because of his love of woman, is also a schizophrenic displaying delusions of grandeur (the same as Roudy). Paradise has been diagnosed with severe bipolar disease, various phobias, and schizophrenia; though she doesn’t believe the part about schizophrenia. Paradise is extremely intelligent like her friends but her gift is that she sees the last memories of dead people when she comes in contact with them. This group of four joins forces with Brad and Nikki to try and unravel the scheme of Quinton Gauld known as the Bride Collector. As they fight against Quinton Brad and Paradise are forced to face their phobias and deal with their demons.
I wouldn’t say I was scared by the novel; I would phrase it more along the lines of being immensely creeped out. Yea…that’s more accurate. Yes, everyone knows there are serial killers out there and we’re aware of what they do and of their detailed planning. But have you ever heard it straight from their head?? It sounds a lot different there than on the evening news. I am, however, proud of myself for mustering up the courage to continue reading even when I was home alone.
I instantly fell in love with each character. I felt at home; completely comfortable letting them live inside my head while I wrapped myself into their world. Ted crafted Quinton Gauld beautifully. You know, as beautifully as you can create a psychotic serial killer… Every scene with the foursome (Roudy, Cass, Andrea, and Paradise) was simply hilarious. Brad Raines has me stumped though. He did great as a main character, could get any girl to fall for him, even with his issues. In the end Brad pulled through, but I’ll have to say he keeps you guessing through the book; questioning “Do I really want to root for him as the good guy??” I just wasn’t sure.
Overall…I’m thankful I decided to buy this one. Definitely adding it to my list of favorites. Not just an captivating story but great writing and intriguing characters too. There are a few themes and symbols that Ted places in the book, I’d like to go over them but I think you’ll just have to check it out for yourself.
Oh and by the way, while you weren’t looking, I finished off another book. Check back in a few to see which one and what I thought of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment