As I’m coming to the end of No Impact Man by Colin Beavan (chapter 8 of 9) I realize that it is already July 25th and my summer ends approximately September 7th. That gives me just about 43 days to complete the rest of my Reading Through Summer book list. Hmm…That’s a little bit short of the time span I’d hope for. But I’ll have to make do. When life gives you lemons, you pick yourself up and pray you’ve got enough to make lemonade. So while I’m finishing up No Impact Man I’ve decided to start on another Ted Dekker book, The Bride Collector. Sounds creepy right?? Yea, that’s pretty much why I bought it. Just reading the back cover I was head over heels in love with it. Now with the first chapter under my belt I’m excited to see if it lives up to the expectations.
As far as No Impact Man, my head is reeling with thoughts and beliefs and philosophies. This, I guess, is a good thing because it’s for URI and it wouldn’t hurt for me to be formulating an opinion about the book. I will tell you, I am shocked this experiment of his (Colin Beavan) has not yet led him to God. I find myself shouting out at the book (as if he can hear me) that what he really needs is God and he will be satisfied. Now I know Colin’s battle is a physical one, how does one man manage to change his life for the better and possibly impact enough people to save the world along the way?? But while I read through I can practically hear Colin’s soul crying out for something better than this world, something deeper, something spiritual. I’ll probably get more into that in my final review.
On other terms, I agree with most everything he talks about. Colin is successfully achieving his goal of making me think about how my life impacts the earth. Also, it’s making me think about how I want to live my future life, when I’m out on my own, or when I’m off raising my own family. What kind of foods do I want in my family’s stomachs?? What kind of environment do I want my kids to grow up in?? What kind of home do I want my house to be?? What kind of change would I like to see in the world around me?? Or even just my own life??
I recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about our impact on the world from an ordinary guy’s view. I’ll even recommend it to you even if you only read it for the humorous stories about his family and the witty chapter titles. For now, I’m just going to finish preparing my own ideas and reading through as many books as I can before my summer ends.
No comments:
Post a Comment