Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Two for One!

Two at a time?? No problem!

Right?? I can do this…

My next two choices are No Impact Man by Colin Beavan and Immanuel’s Veins by Ted Dekker. I was given No Impact Man as a reading assignment for URI, and while most of my peers huffed and sighed I thought “Oh sweet. Another book to add to the list!” It’s an account of Colin Beavan’s quest for finding a better, more eco-friendly way to live. This book documents his and his family’s life over the course of one year, as they adapt to this new lifestyle. Colin writes about how and why he chose to do this, the struggles he faces, and the good and the bad his family endures to reach their goal.

I don’t have much yet to say about No Impact Man except the fact that I’ll be praying for him to start looking at God as more than just a reminder of the “wisdom within” himself (the “innate human wisdom” as he phrases it on page 46).

The next book (Immanuel’s Vein) is the first Kindle book I’ll be reading so far in this challenge. I’m thinking it might be a nice mix up, especially with two at a time. Immanuel’s Veins is written by Ted Dekker, I’ve tried starting it before, but just like Monster (by Frank Peretti) it never grabbed me. However from what I have read I know it’s set in the 18th century, placed in the Carpathian mountains, which we all know means there are vampires involved. Usually a good sign in a horror novel.

I’m already on chapter four (out of nine) of No Impact Man and I plan on beginning Immanuel’s Veins tonight (probably once I’m done with this post). I’m excited to read and review both of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment